- NAIL co-organized an international expert seminar together with the Norwegian Centre for Holocaust and Minority-studies (HL-senteret) on December 7. where we examined the return of starvation as a method of war and its effects on vulnerable communities in Yemen and Syria, discussing how deliberate strategies to deprive food have been used in Yemen and Syria, and what measures are available to address this scourge of war.
Participants in the seminar included:
- Prof. em. Martha Mundy, London School of Economics, autor of the Tufts University report on strategies by the coalition in Yemen.
- Prof. Charles Garraway, The UN HRC’s Group of Eminent Experts on Yemen 2017-2019, co-author of a conference room report in 2019 on violations of international law in Yemen since 2014.
- Sareta Ashraph, Chief legal analyst, Commission of Inquiry on Syria 2012-2016
- Leila Zimmermann and Mariana Karkoutly at CJA.
The seminar was part of the MFA-funded project on Inclusive Citizenship at the HL-centre.
A seminar report will be published shortly.